Saturday, August 18, 2007

Ready to "Do Good"

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

This is the verse that has taken up constant residence in my mind as I pray and prepare for our 2007/2008 homeschool year. I have been no more excited than the children to start. But as I have prayed and cried out to God to fill me with enthusiasm to do His will, this is the verse that has continually come to mind.

Doing the will of God does not always "feel" like what we would like to do. It is a mistake to go solely by our feelings when determining His will. It won't always "feel" good. But we are blessed when we do His will and then the good feelings many times follow. Obedience first, let the feelings take care of themselves. Christ is our example. Going to the cross did not *feel* good. We see plainly in the Garden of Gethsemane that going to the cross did not sound like fun to Jesus. Are we not told to take up our cross? Is it suppose to "feel" good?

So, I am readying myself to do the will of my Father. I am finding my feelings slowly following. But I know it will be a challenging year full of lots of hard work. But that is okay. As I look down at my hands and feet I see no scars. His burden is easy. Reminds me of an Amy Carmichael poem:

No Scar?
Hast thou no scar?
No hidden scar on foot, or side, or hand?
I hear thee sung as mighty in the land,
I hear them hail thy bright ascendant star,
Hast thou no wound?
Yet I was wounded by the archers, spent,
Leaned Me against a tree to die; and rent
By ravening beasts that compassed Me, I swooned:
Hast thou no wound?
No wound? No scar?
Yet, as the Master shall the servant be,
And pierced are the feet that follow Me;
But thine are whole: can he have followed far
Who has nor wound nor scar?

No comments: