Friday, October 12, 2007

Breakfast Burritos and Turkey Wraps

I am busy thinking about our menu for next week. One big challenge is thinking up quick and yummy things for my husband for his breakfast and lunch. One idea I know he will love is breakfast burritos and turkey wraps.

We use a Flour Tortilla recipe from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_2504,00.html for our wraps. This is such an easy recipe and once you have made your own burrito shell I guarantee you will never want a store bought one again! These are so great for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and various wraps.

For the breakfast burrito I am going to put down some scrambled egg and onion, cheddar cheese, chilies, and some broken up turkey bacon. These are the things I tend to have on hand. You can mix into your eggs anything you like and wrap it up. This will be a good grab and go meal that is a bit healthier than the muffins and sweet breads I made this week.

The motivation for the Turkey wrap came from the turkeys at the grocery store being on sale last week (79 cents per pound). So I roast up a 15 pound turkey and then boiled the bones for stock. The idea comes from the cafeteria at my husband's office. In this wrap we will put: turkey meat, dressing, some mashed potatoes, cooked carrots and cranberry sauce and a very small bit of gravy for moisture. Personally, I am not much for combining all my foods like this, but my husband just loves these turkey wraps. It's all about putting whatever you cooked with the turkey in this wrap. What a great way to use those leftovers! :)

Just today I found a recipe for Whole Wheat Wraps on Wardeh's "Such Treasures" website. As Robin loves to baked, I might ask him if he would try this recipe tomorrow. The ingredients are waaay healthier and Robin loves wheat so I think it is a match made in heaven! :) Then the other wrap could be used more sparingly in moderation.
Here is the link:
http://suchtreasures.wordpress.com/2006/04/28/whole-wheat-tortillas/
I love Wardeh's website. She has lots of wonderful recipes and other great instructions for homemakers. Please note that all recipes and info on her site is copywritten. I am so thankful she is willing to offer her research for free! Thank you for helping me honor her copywrite! :)

What foods do you put in a wrap? I would love new ideas!!

No comments: