Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Discipline Brings Blessing

As a parent, it seems I spend a good bit of my day convincing my child/children that they need to do what they would really rather not do. It starts as infants. At some point mommy has to put the baby down for a few moments and the baby would rather be held, or change the diaper when the baby would prefer to not have the diaper changed. Then we move to potty training to lacing up ones own shoes to doing chores. From infancy to adulthood I must plant seeds of discipline into my children. Here is the lesson I have learned. When the child figures out that mom is serious and is not going to change her mind, the child falls in line and meets the expectation. Sometimes there is a transition time (At times this seems like a mourning period!) where the child is upset, but given time and consistency they come round.

I can remember times when a child was particularly resistant to chore time. No amount of crying could sway mom, so the child gave in and did the chores. By the end of chore time I was being showered with "I love you's" and hugs. There was a blessing of satisfaction in a job well done!

Don't give up, you moms out there!! Your loving consistency will bear fruit.

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Heb. 12:11

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Gal. 6:9

3 comments:

Lindy said...

How wonderful to come across a christian, homeschool mom! I am a christian, and have been homeschooled right from the start! I wouldn't trade it for anything. We just went to our state's homeschool conference, and it was such a wonderful time. God bless!

Lindy said...

P.S. My goal in life is to be a wife and homeschool mom too. :)

Robin said...

Hi Lindy! Welcome to my blog! You are an encouragement to me, being a homeschooler who is thankful to have been homeschooled! Thankyou for visiting and leaving a comment so I know you were here! I pray God will bring your goals to fruition! Have a great day, Karen T.