Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Knitting Projects



I saw this shawl pattern online at this website: http://www.knittinggeek.com/howto/shawlworkshop.htm . The pattern is so basic that I thought it would be a good project for Rachel. You just cast on 3 stitches. Then on each row you knit one, yarn over and knit to the end of the row. It gets bigger and bigger and you stop when it is the size you want. This would teach her to yarn over which she has never done but also be sooo easy. She could make these for her American Girl dolls. There was no mention of needle size but I will use one of my bigger ones. One website I saw said size 35 or some ridiculously big needle but I think since it is for a doll, we will try our size 15 needles.

I just joined a Dishcloth Web Group. I joined because dischcloths are small and doable and I might learn new stitches along the way. Now here is my crazy idea...I have always loved the feel of the cotton yarn. So I am going to make a bunch of dishcloths and then join them together for a blanket! My husband, Robin, is loving this idea so I will give it a go. I think I might stick to ocean/beach themes for our blanket dishcloth. We'll see. I'll post my progress.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun, Karen! It's it great having a new project?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks like a really pretty project. I truly would love to know how to kit, but I can't seem to keep it all in my head. Isn't that pitiful? LOL
Love
Sylvia
t2chk

Anonymous said...

Karen, what a great idea for an afghan! I know it will be wonderful. You're right that nothing beats the cotton for dishcloths. I made a baby blanket out of it once. I gave it to my sister for her new baby. The only things is... it really shrank in the wash! So be careful. ;)

Love, Wardeh

Robin said...

Yikes! Thanks for that warning Wardeh. Looks like I better wash my squares to see what size they REALLY are!! :) Love, Karen

Robin said...

Sylvia, I learned to knit in High School and was never very good at it. I picked it up a couple of years ago, couldn't remember how to do it so Robin read the instructions and taught me!! :)I still can't crochet though...no coordination for it or somethin'! Love,Karen

Anonymous said...

Oh, Karen, I love that idea! Wardeh has taught me how to knit, and another local homeschool momma sat and tried to re-teach me to knit, it's just not my forte so I stick to crocheting. But I keep seeing these beautiful knit things.....I HAVE GOT TO GET someone to teach R to knit so that she can knit these things for me :)

hehehehe :)

Love and many hugs dear one!
Lori :)

Robin said...

Oh Lori, crocheting is so beautiful too! I tried that but didn't seem to have the coordination!