Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Terrific Tuesday!

Lately I have found it some much easier in the long run to prepare supper while I prepare lunch. Since I have chronic pain that kicks up later in the day, it is nice to know the family is fed and I can relax at the end of the day with my chores done and meals prepared (Since the kids clean up from supper with dh's supervision! :)). Today I made up a Shepherd's Pie.

Shepherd's Pie is one of those dishes meant to be a nice alternative to leftovers. You simply layer the bottom of a casserole dish with scrambled hamburger and gravy (gravy is optional), then layer with leftover veggies, then leftover mashed potatoes. Then bake at 400 degrees F. until it is bubbly and the top is browned. When I make mine I like to use one can of creamed corn and about one cup of frozen corn for my veggie. Here it is:


Today, I had a second reason to prepare supper ahead. I needed to take Rachel to Burlington coat factory to find a formal white gown. She is going to be a flower girl in my sister's wedding in July. She is soooo excited!! Finding a dress for her in a Bridal shop was so expensive so my sister wisely thought that we might find a nice Confirmation dress that would fit the bill. We wanted one with an empire waist which was hard to find for an older girl. But then I remembered that Burlington always has a nice selection in that style. We went today (happy supper was all done and just needing to be heated) and the first dress she tried on ended up being "the one!" Wow, praise God!! I prayed ahead but those of you who shop with or for girls understand that finding a dress on the first try is VERY rare and this one was even at a very good price that meets my budget! Praise the LORD!! It has lots of embroidered flowers and bead work that is hard to see here in the picture(But I think if you click on the pic you can see it more close up). Here she is trying it on for daddy:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel looks so sweet!

My pain usually worsens later in the day, too. I have to prepare dinner ahead, at least partially. Sometimes I leave directions for P (hubby) to finish off the last-minute details while I'm in bed. Yesterday, I made a chicken pasta salad in the morning. That's one of our favourite meals. P loves Shepherd's Pie, too. I think I will make some next week.

Anonymous said...

Oh Karen, the dress is beautiful! How is she going to do her hair for the wedding? How fun! My R was in my sister in law's wedding 9 years ago and she had such a great time...she was only 5 but still remembers it so well! :)

Robin said...

HI Lori!! Thanks for stopping by! Rachel is going to wear her hair in some sort of updo with a tiara! Oh she is soooo excited!! :)
Love
Karen